Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Gratitude is in the Attitude


"Gratitude can transform common days into thanksgivings, turn routine jobs into joy, and change ordinary opportunites into blessings." Wm Arthur Ward.

Those are not my words, but I think how they fit in relation to my world, they speak volumns!

Here, one week post op for my RNY surgery. Wow. It's been a week?? I'm doing well. :) I can say that I was NOT nervous going into this, which I thought was a little odd, but I believe when it came time my faith & the good vibes sent by many friends/family all worked in my favor & for that I am thankful!

I was in surgery a total of 2 1/2 hrs. Came out and was in recovery for another 2 hrs then whisked to my room. When I first awoke in recovery I was aware that my deceased father was with me & that he had been there with me the whole time. I was in a lot of pain the first 2 days out. I even wondered too myself "What have you done? I can't believe you did this too yourself." They had me up and walking the same night after surgery. I didn't go far, but I knew I had to be mobil so I did it. The nurses, and patient care techs were all great. Thank God for anti nausea medicine & the pain med, although both made me very sleepy. My 'adopted' dad Mike stayed with me before and after & left around 5pm so he could go get my kids from daycare and take them back to his place to stay, where when I got discharged I also went to stay. Thank GOD for them. I have been blessed in so many ways.
I have 5 incision sites on my belly. If I look at it, they are placed in the 6 o'clock, the 9 o'clock, the 11 o'clock, and the 3 o'clock position, with one on my right side where there was a "Johnson Pratt" or "JP" drain tube, for any signs of blood loss, or infection. I can say that when I do experience pain its only from these healing incision sites. Small price to pay for the wonderful results I am seeing. Now, I CAN finally see the progress I have made. My follow up appt with the surgeon was yesterday (tues) and I weighed in at 13lbs less than I did the day of surgery!! Wow?? Really?? I said. Well they did remove a lot of my stomach. The nurse looks at me and says "your stomach did not weigh that much!! Maybe ounces, be proud, your doing great!"
So my pants are fitting differently, some of my tops seem a lil too big. My bras....well, I have had to cinch them in twice already, but the cup size still remains. :)
So my total weigh loss thus far is 33lbs!! I would never have been able to do this on my own, let alone in the 5 wks it has taken place. Obviously under medical care. I wouldn't recommend losing that much in that time under any other circumstances!!
I have noticed I seem to have more energy as the days progress. Think I overdid it a bit yesterday with all the running ie: Dr appt (my adopted dad Mike took me & the kids), then back home finally to our house, and to my oldest sons school open house to meet his teacher (we walked the block to the school) and then I ended up going to drum circle last night with my friend Bonnie and it was a good relaxing time. Still in need of a hand drum, but used my maracas and it was nice. Then of course I stayed up a lil late last night here online catching up with friends, and trying to draft something for this blog, and putting things away in the house.) Lets say that when it was 1am and I was putting laundry in the dryer, my eyes were barely awake & I welcomed sleep when my head hit the pillow. Not sure I even remember that part because it felt so nice to be home in my own bed after sleeping in a recliner since Friday night. (recommended by surgeon since it doesn't require much 'getting up and out of' and allows the belly to heal better).
I get to go to 'post-op' support group and class this thursday, which I am excited for. AND I get to drive myself. I'm looking forward to meeting new people and hearing their stories, sharing mine & being a part of that. I meet with the Dr & dietician there so that I can move forward from this 'liquid diet'. I had sugar free jello & sugar free applesauce in the hospital. Wow, welcome back texture!! :) I have been able to have a tsp at time those two things, and Sunday when the fam had a huge dinner in celebration of my 'adopted' brothers birthday, I got to have a tsp of mashed potatoes which let me tell you, was heaven!! Then the past two days I have only had my optifast drinks, water, & a few times sugar free applesauce. When it came time for the cake & ice cream I crept into the livingrm into a recliner & started to read my book & fell asleep. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment